President
Ted Van Midde III
Vice President
Oliver Dibble
Treasurer
Klif Knoles
Secretary
David F. Trahan
Vice President
General Manager
Charles Houghten
Chief, Division of Refuge
Planning
U.S.Fish and Wildlife
Service
911 NE. 11th Ave.
Portland, Oregon 97232-4181
Dear Mr. Houghten,
Tonight is the second “Open
House” given in Mann County to hear about the “Proposed Marin Baylands National Wildlife Refuge”. Although it will be difficult to be present at each table
to hear what is being said, we do expect to learn more of your proposed
project, Nonetheless, we must further express our concerns with the process as it
has proceeded so far as well as with the information which has been
made available to this point.
Communication with all Mat-in County citizens regarding the U. S. Fish & Wildlife Service “Marin Baylands National Wildlife Refuge” proposal has at least improved to the extent that Marin Builders Exchange this month received a copy of your “Planning Update 2”. That same bulletin listed some 31 “comments, concerns and issues raised as a result of your November 30, 2000 “Open House”. It is interesting, however, that in spite of five months passage since that exposition there are no published FSW answers to these comments, concerns and issues. Why is this?
Your “Planning Update 2”, in
the last paragraph of Page 2, says the proposal”.. .does not interfere with
private property rights”. It is impossible to believe that U.S.Fish &
Wildlife Service staff are so naive as to believe that or that we are so
gullible as to accept that. The very presence of governmental proposals impacts
plans for all properties adjacent to the action proposals. Further, that the U.
S. government does not own the property defined by the proposal does not in the
least reduce the influence this study has on private property. The fact that
the first presentation last year was made without communication to all Marin
County organizations adds to our concerns because of the secretive manner in
which the planning has progressed so far and in which the planning seems to
continue to proceed.
We will reiterate, and
expect a written response, to many of the same questions already raised but
still unanswered:
1. How did FWS determine there was a need
for the proposal?
2. With whom did FWS discuss the concept
and parameters of the Mann Baylands project?
3. Since the FWS proposal is termed a “wildlife refuge”, is all building within the area barred?
4. Your letter of March 6, 2001 to us states, “Refuge establishment does not prevent landowners with a refuge boundary from developing their land.” Does this mean there are no constraints or some constraints on construction? How is the determination for proper land use to be established?
5. Is there any appeal process, apart from litigation, included in the
proposal’s evolution?
6. Since the proposed refuge area appears
to include property considered for rail/bus transit, will this proposal ban
that potential?
7. Does FWS plan on at least an
environmental study as to the impact of this proposal on housing and other
community needs?
We are still concerned with
the process under which this proposal is proceeding. At this time, there should
be more FWS response and information
than is currently available, or evident, to the comments, concerns and issues
already expressed about this proposal. When will this information be available
and under what time schedule will this proposal proceed?
Sincerely yours,
Peter
R. Arrigoni
Peter R. Arrigoni
General Manager
PRA:n
cc: Mann County Board of
Supervisors
Cathy Osugi, Wildlife
Biologist, Portland, Oregon
Mange Kolar, Refuge Complex
Manager, Newark, California